The wait is over! The application period for the 2016 FEMA Individual and Community Preparedness Awards is now open. The awards highlight innovative local practices and achievements by individuals and organizations that have made outstanding contributions toward making their communities safer, better prepared, and more resilient.
This year, the awards feature three new categories, providing even more ways to showcase your preparedness efforts. The new categories are Outstanding Inclusive Initiatives in Emergency Management, Outstanding Private Sector Initiatives, and America's PrepareAthon! in Action.
If you have taken action to prepare your community for disasters, here is your chance to receive national recognition for your efforts, and more. Winning a FEMA Individual and Community Preparedness Award or honorable mention can help you:
- Gain additional resources for your community preparedness efforts
- Expose your program to national media
- Expand your organization's Local, State and Federal networks
Please help spread the word about the 2016 FEMA Individual Community Preparedness Awards! Download an application form and apply today! You can also nominate an individual or organization who inspires you to prepare.
To be considered for this year's awards, all applications must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 28, 2016 at 11:59 P.M. E.T . and feature program activities occurring between January 1, 2015 and March 28, 2016. Once all applications have been received, FEMA will select winners in each of the following categories:
- Outstanding Citizen Corps Council
- Community Preparedness Champions
- Awareness to Action
- Technological Innovation
- Outstanding Achievement in Youth Preparedness
- Preparing the Whole Community
- Outstanding Inclusive Initiatives in Emergency Management (new)
- Outstanding Private Sector Initiatives ( new)
- Outstanding Community Emergency Response Team Initiatives
- Outstanding Citizen Corps Partner Program
- America's PrepareAthon! in Action (new)
Winners of the 2016 FEMA Individual and Community Preparedness Awards will be announced in the fall, and will be FEMA's honored guests at a community preparedness roundtable event in Washington, DC. As you prepare your applications, it may be helpful to take a look at previous winners on our website.
We look forward to hearing about the incredible work that individuals and organizations are doing to make their communities safer, stronger, better prepared, and more resilient! For more information on how to apply, visit: http://www.ready.gov/preparedness-awards .